Monday 7 November 2011

WW1 sketchbook essay


Sketchbook exhibition essay

I have always considered that the way I express the meanings of my projects in quite an illustrative way. The project I am currently working on shows a journey of a World War One soldier.

I began my Sketchbook with some continuous line drawings of some images of WW1 soldiers; my intention was to create a sense of a continuous journey. As part of my research I found some poems based on events that happened during the first World War, I always like to link my drawings with small captions of text, the words form themselves into images and this is what I intend to express in my drawings. I have always thought that poems, stories or just small parts of text are a great inspiration to how I initially start a project, I then tell the story in images. However I think I should include more writing in my sketchbook, referring to what I’m thinking of doing next and about things that have maybe gone wrong but then working out ways to improve.  

For this particular project I have arranged the things I place onto the pages in a certain way, so it makes them look like they could be part of a museum exhibition. It keeps in place the historical aspects of the project. For me this is my natural way of working, I want to make the pages look like they have a story to tell, this also effects the way I arrange text on the page, I don’t want it to be too overbearing, so I tend to keep the amount of text quite minimal but the words I choose are always express the point I want to make.

I think my sketchbook expresses how my ideas have developed from the initial drawings into stitched pieces. Also showing variation in the types of materials I have used and how I have combined certain materials to create different textures.

I could show more evidence of my museum visits, at the moment there are only the observational drawings I did at the museum, so I shall also include the photographs I took as further evidence.  I tend to keep my artist research separate from my main sketchbook, although from seeing some of the other student’s sketchbooks I like how they included their artist research into their work.  From the feedback I received back, this was one of the main issues being brought up, that they would like to see more evidence of my research.

I was satisfied with the feedback I got back; however it would have been good to have had more comments, as some comments were quite similar. Seeing other peoples sketchbooks is always a good way to get inspiration, I was inspired by the layout of the research a it is something i shall be exploring with my project.












No comments:

Post a Comment